SATURDAY BEGINNER’S SEWING
This class is aimed at the absolute beginner or someone who needs a straightforward refresher. We will get to know the sewing machine and all the other tools that are helpful for sewing. We will work will patterns, layout on fabric, cutting and interfacing, how to prepare the seams, get to know the sewing machine, beginning /finishing seams and how to sew consistent straight or curved lines, how to get sharp corners, trimming seam allowance and pressing to get a professional look. You will be cutting and sewing a fabric basket, a small lined make-up bag and a cushion cover with a zipper.
Materials, sewing machine and tools are all included. However for fabric options you can do the following: You can select fabric for the projects from a small selection that I have on the day; or you are welcome to bring in 0.5 meter of your own 100% cotton fabric (same as is used for quilting) for the cushion; Also Stumer’s have a large selection of fabric for sale that can be bought on the day for use during class.
By the end of the class you will be familiar with sewing terms and tools and have gained knowledge so you can continue sewing at home or you can move on to the next class.
What you will take home
- A folder of sewing instructions, notes and tips
- A fabric basket and lined little button-up bag/purse in your choice of fabric (feminine or masculine look)
- A 40×40 cm zippered cushion cover. Materials for the cushion are supplied excluding a cushion insert/filling
- Instructions for sewing more at home
- Coffee, tea and water is supplied
- There will be a short lunch break, so bring some snack/food or you can get a coffee etc. at the cafe next door.
- Class sizes are kept small with a maximum of 4 people
- All materials, tools and sewing machines are provided
- Please book early as spaces are limited.
- No experience necessary
Please write which class you are interested in and your question here: